May 26, 2016

TALKTIME #17: My Defense for Fanfiction


TALKTIME #17: MY DEFENSE OF FANFICTION

      There are a lot of different thoughts swirling around in the book community on fanfiction. I came across a post from Emily at The Paperback Princess in opposition to fanfiction. Well, her post stirred something in me and I just had to write a post in defense of fanfiction.




      I have been reading fanfiction since probably the start of high school. One of my friends was constantly talking about fanfiction and I had no idea what she was talking about. Short after, I joined Tumblr, and if you know that site, you should know that fanfiction is very prevelant. So, after some inner debate, I went onto Fanfiction.net.




      The first fanfict I ever read was a Harry Potter fict. I have no idea what it was or what it was really about to be honest, but all I know is that it paired Hermione with Draco Malfoy. I never in a million years dreamed of pairing those to, but I read the fanfict and something changed in me.




      Fanfiction has allowed me to connect with fictional worlds in ways I never imagined possible. There are some worlds from tv shows, books, movies, etc. that I get so connected to that they start to consume me and kind of cut me off from the real world. There are times where I get so attached to a universe that I start imagining my life in that world and with those characters. I place myself in that universe and pretend that I am anywhere put in the real world. With fanfiction, I get that continued connection. That world that I became so attached to continues on in the fanfiction and I love it.




      A really big part of why I love fanfiction is the endless possibilities. Sometimes there are characters that I really love, like more than Earth itself. But for some reason unknown to me, the author, creator, whoever, doesn't think they belong together, and so they are not cannon. This usually doesn't sit to well with me. So, I go to fanfiction. Fanfiction allows my precious babies to be together in a way that I could only dream of. There are some fanfict writers where they shape the characters and worlds so perfectly that it really does seem like the relationship was meant to be and their original creator/author/whoever did a huge disservice of not pairing them together. 




      It's not just the relationships though, but the actual worlds. Sometimes, I like the original characters, but not the actual worlds they exist in, or I want more of the world they exist in but the original people didn't give enough details. Fanfiction can happen literally anywhere and in as little or as much detail as possible. 




     What I truly love most about fanfiction though is how it makes me feel. Fanfiction gives me so many emotions and just fills me up with a joy and happiness that sometimes real life cannot give me. When I'm down in the mud and I don't want to read a normal book or watch tv, I'll go to fanfiction and let it consume. Reading about two characters that I never thought could come together be paired up and fall together in such a perfect way or reliving two friends comical dynamics really does something for me. It gives me hope. Not just for the characters and the worlds they exist in or their original portrayals, but for myself. I feel like fanfiction has given me so much and shaped me into a more accepting person. It also gives me hope about my own future. 

*Side note: Bonnie Bennett/Kat Graham is the definition of perfection and #goals*


     Sorry if that all sounded like the ramblings of a madwoman, but it's something I really wanted to say. Fanfiction is something I am quite passionate about and is something that is just as authentic as the original portrayals. (Real talk though, I'm waiting for Goodreads to add fanfiction because my Goodreads Challenge would be so high if fanfiction counted, which it should be it's literature too.)



      What do you guys think about fanfiction? Yay or nay? I want to hear all about it in the comments. 

Join the conversation!

  1. FANFICTION!!!!!!!!!!!

    (Ok. I'll calm down now.)

    I adore fanfiction. Although much of it has definitely scarred me for life :)

    Just the opportunity for characters to come alive via the transcendent nature of their stories being transformed and adapted to the needs of the reader and the writer, and allowing their mythology to overcome the confines of a single medium...

    Wow. I have no idea where that came from. Is it weird that I sound the smartest when I'm talking about something that is essentially hyper-active fangirls and fanboys on a sugar rush (or maybe a stroner substance)...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's not weird at all. People usually articulate things that they are most passionate about better. But I totally agree with you!

      Delete
  2. I'm really happy to here your points Sierra! I'm glad that you find a great dynamic in fanfiction, and that you love it so much and are passionate about it. To each their own, but I'm happy that you feel so great about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone, but for me it's something I'm quite passionate about.

      Delete

Please leave a comment down below because I would love to hear your thoughts. To ensure you see my reply, make sure to click "Notify Me".